- Type: temporary exhibitions
- Year: 2017
- Institution: Museum of Humor and Satire
- Location: Gabrovo, Bulgaria
- Topic: art, contemporary art, history
- Tasks: exhibition design, graphic design
Two exhibitions presenting a selection of projects of Christo and Jeanne-Claude and a documentary narrative about the childhood and first artistic steps of Christo Yavachev in Gabrovo.
CHRISTO AND JEANNE-CLAUDE. PROJECTS
The first exhibition begins with a transition from Christo’s early works, made in his studios in Paris and New York, to the large-scale projects of the artistic duo, realized in urban environments or in nature. The works are presented through posters, texts, timeline and a geographical map. Among the projects are Wall of Oil Barrels – The Iron Curtain, Valley Curtain, Wrapped Reichstag, The Umbrellas, Wrapped Trees and Pont Neuf Wrapped. The exhibition also includes a video interview with Christo on his early works by Prof. Georgi Lozanov and director Stoyan Radev, as well as video footage from the film Bridge to Christo, created by Evgenia Atanassova-Teneva and Nedyalko Danov on the occasion of The Floating Piers. The exhibition ends with the project The Mastaba.
BORN IN GABROVO
The second exhibition is a “time capsule” that brings the visitor back to the 1930s when Tsveta Yavacheva, Vladimir Yavachev and their three sons lived in Gabrovo. The story reveals the early years of little Christo and his childhood with his brothers – the beloved artist Anani Yavachev and the chemist and inventor Stefan Yavachev. The exhibition presents the family factories and homes, the schools and children’s art activities, as well as the area, known as Kachori – a favorite place for playtime and walks of the young Christo. The exhibition contains personal photographs from the archives of the Yavachev family, objects from friends and classmates as well as documents from the State Archive and other institutions.
The projects have been realized by the Museum of Humor and Satire and the Association “Our Greater Gabrovo” with funding from the Municipality of Gabrovo and additional support from the Bulgarian National Television, State Archives – Gabrovo, Regional Library “Aprilov-Palauzov”, Regional History Museum Gabrovo, National Art High School “Trevnenska Shkola”, Secondary School “Neofit Rilski” and Primary School “Vasil Levski”, Gabrovo. The materials in the exhibitions are provided by the Yavachev family, Evgenia Atanassova – Teneva, Prof. Georgi Lozanov, Stoyan Radev, Dragan Nemtsov, Iva Hadzhieva, Ivanka Zdravkova and Geo Kukudov.
- Organizers: Municipality of Gabrovo, Museum of Humor and Satire, Association “Our Greater Gabrovo”
- Research: Evgenia Atanassova, Elena Nikolova, Margarita Dorovska
- Curator: Margarita Dorovska
- Author of the texts: Evgenia Atanassova-Teneva
- Translation in English: Traci Speed
- Exhibition and graphic design: Martina Deneva
- Production: Stefan Kazakov, Elena Nikolova, Dimka Koleva, Velina Kazakova
- Technical equipment and multimedia: Petyo Yordanov
- Construction works: Valentin Petrov 2004 Ltd.
- Lighting project: Altronics Light